Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Seeing Stars

Caught Stars' set at the recently refurbished El Mocambo last Friday night as part of Canadian Music Week. It was the second time I've seen them, the first being at CMW (NxNE?) last year when they played the Horseshoe.

They are one cool band. They're just such cute, romantic, soft revolutionaries. Or as my friend Katherine said (I think it was her), they're what the Smiths would have sounded like if they'd worn pink instead of black.

I picked up their latest CD, Heart and it's very yummy. I especially like "Elevator Love Letter", "Death To Death", "Romantic Comedy" and "Don't Be Afraid To Sing".

This is music that makes you wish you had a broken heart.

You can check out some of their songs here (although I couldn't get the player to launch on my computer).

Also picked up the latest from The Minus 5, Down With Wilco. This is essentially Scott McCaughey (Young Fresh Fellows, R.E.M.) being orbited by Peter Buck, Ken Stringfellow and Wilco. Sean O'Hagan (High Llamas, Stereolab) even pops up to lend a hand on at least one track.

It's taking a bit longer to sink in, mostly because right now it's being eclipsed by Stars, but I generally like it. With that crew, you won't be surprised to hear that it's kind of, well, alt-ambient roots pop. And y'know, that's not a bad crossroads to be standing at. "I'm Not Bitter" is a particularly enjoyable slice of jangly pop.

Has anyone heard the Loose Fur CD that just came out recently?

Still waiting to hear about that impending ep from Wilco. Isn't that supposed to be out by now?

I want my Wilco! I want my Wilco!

No comments: