Monday, July 28, 2003

Wanted?

I don't know if you're familiar with Craigslist, but it's like a classifieds web page with local sites for most major North American cities. I've been using it recently to keep track of items for sale, events, jobs, apartments for rent, etc. Sometimes you see an ad that is miscategorized or distasteful, and you can flag it. If enough members flag the same ad, the admin people can remove it from the site. I've flagged a couple that were dubious.

I'm not sure what to think of this one. It appeared under the "For Sale" category:
potentially brilliant caucasian baby (unborn) - $99000
Reply to: anon-14087004@craigslist.org
Date: 2003-07-27, 9:21AM

Undecided whether or not to have a baby, not quite 1 month pregnant. If you have the money but are unable to have kids I may consider giving up my baby. Considering abortion right now. Religous fanatics please do not respond. Serious replies only.

Is this legal? I suppose there are private adoptions, aren't there? Is it tasteless? Is it ethical? I found it quite shocking, but should I? I mean, this kind of thing happens all the timeóbabies being given up for adoption, and rich, childless couples buying unwanted babies. Maybe it's because it appeared between classified ads for health supplements and furniture. It just leaves my head spinning.

No comments: