Sunday, August 01, 2004

More UPS And Downs

Follow-up from the previous blog entry: UPS did not come through on Friday. If I could've reached through the phone and strangled them, I would have.

I had received nothing from them by late morning, so I decided to call to see if I could find out if the tickets were at least on the truck. The customer rep person told me that the driver had been at my work address at 8:54 a.m. and had been unable to make the delivery. Something to do with "no such receiver" or something, whatever that means. I verified that they had the address right. Yup. The rep asked if there was any other businesses at this address. Nope. It's the only building at this address. Large building on the corner with a huge sign out front. Can't miss it. They said it appeared the driver had been there at 8:54 and had attempted to make the delivery, but couldn't, for some reason. This despite the fact I had told them the previous day that my business hours were 9-5. So the driver shows up at 8:54?

But it gets weirder. I went down to talk to our receptionist, and she said she had been there since 8:30, and hadn't seen any UPS person come in. I checked with the guys in the mailroom, at the back door of the building (even though, UPS always delivers to the receptionist at the front), and they had received nothing.

I called UPS yet again. I was not my usual pleasant self. I expressed my dissatisfaction in very strong terms. They said the driver was on his/her route and there was a chance of a return visit later in the day, but they couldn't guarantee it. The lady I talked to was apologetic, but said there wasn't much she could do. She again offered the option of having me pick up the tickets at their depot way the hell across god's creation. I not-so-politely declined, citing the aforementioned notion that when a person pays for DELIVERY of something, there should at least be some semblance of the concept involved at some point, not requiring the alleged receiver to spend hours on a hot city bus travelling to pick up the "delivery". She said if the driver doesn't attempt a return delivery, all that I could do was wait for Tuesday.

I used my favourite Disgruntled Consumer phrase: "This is completely unacceptable." It's worked for me in the past. Didn't seem to have much of an impact in this instance. The customer rep lady was sympathetic, in a customer rep kind of way, but said there wasn't much else that could be done. There were some prolonged silences on my end, just to let the dissatisfaction soak into the conversation. I told her that since UPS had made the mistake of delivering someone else's shoes to me instead of my tickets the previous day, it was incumbent upon them to try a little harder to fix their mistake. I told her I didn't think they were trying hard enough. She repeated that there wasn't anything she could do. I replied, "Well, I guess I'll just have to be DISsatisfied with that."

We're on summer hours at work, and can leave by 1 p.m. on Fridays. I had work to do that would have kept me there till about 3:00 or so, but I stuck around longer on the off-chance the UPS numbskull returned. I waited until 4:30, and then left. On the way out, I left a note at reception that if there's a UPS delivery for me, to call my extension or leave it at reception. Just trying to cover all the bases. I plan to be there early on Tuesday morning.

But that's not the only bad customer experience of the day. Oh no! You might remember from a previous post that I had ordered from an online store a CD wall unit for my apartment. Shipment was supposedly to occur within 7 to 10 days. I had put the order in two weeks ago. There was supposed to be an email notifying me when the shipment left the factory in Vancouver. I had received nothing from them. I called them last week around Tuesday, got a voice mail, left a message. Heard nothing from them. I called them again on Friday. They looked into the situation and told me that apparently my order had not been downloaded with the rest of the orders from that day. Sigh. I had to give them my credit card info again to get the order processed. So hopefully I'll have that delivered in a week or so.

But here's the kicker: Guess who's delivering it?

Yup. The lovely delivery experts at UPS.

Can't wait to see what shows up at my door this time. Maybe more shoes! Whatever it is, I'm gonna make sure I'm home on delivery day, and I'm holding it hostage until I get what I ordered.

No comments: