Thursday, June 01, 2006

Snap snap wink wink saynamoah

In anticpation of my trip to London-Dublin, I finally went out and got myself a digital camera. That's right, no more disposables and discs for me.

After some research on the Internets, I settled on this one, which also happened to be on sale at Future Shop. The Canon Powershot A620. Seems like a pretty good one. Lots of handy features and settings (including manual), and it does video, too. I didn't want one of those ones that tucks into your pocket. Not ergonomically satisfying. I picked up a 512MB card and some NiMH rechargeable batteries, so I'm good to go.

This past Saturday was a beautiful day, and I had to replenish my coffee supply, so I took a hike down Queen Street, through the beaches, and took the cam with me for a field test.

Sauntering down toward the boardwalk, I spotted this scene and thought the colours might provide some interesting results.



Then I took a series of shots as I walked down the boardwalk itself. Nothing to brag about from a compositional perspectice. Some bad light and shadows.







Then I spotted this kayaker...



And this couple walking with their dog. I like how she's all decked out in bright colours while the four-legged companion stays closer to earth tones...and just closer to the earth, period.



Sign of the times...



Then, when I got home, I took a few pics of objects around the apartment, mostly so I could test the zoom on smaller, close objects

Bottles in my window, against the blinds.





A small skull I've had for ages. It's about the size of a billiard ball. The zoom caused quite a bit of camera shake here, but I kind of like the result. Gives it an ironic sense of motion. I call this one "SpeedSkull".



This is the front of a box I have in my living room. Like most of these shots, I cropped it in iPhoto.



And of course, the obigatory Mini-Gumby and iStick.



Maybe I ain't no Annie Leibowitz, and I doubt if I'll turn jimbuck2 into a photoblog, but I expect to have some fun with it. You can bet yer sweet aperture that you'll be seeing more stunning visual snapshots here in the days and weeks ahead. L'aventure commence.

No comments: