Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Back On Course

Haven't had much time to blog recently, so I'm composing this entry from work on my lunch break. Won't have much time tonight either, as I'm starting a night course at Ryerson in magazine copy editing.

A position as a copy editor might be a wise next career step for me, so I thought it would a good idea to upgrade my skills, and get some actual training from a pro. Editing copy comprises about 30% or more of my present job as a copywriter, and I think I'm pretty good at it, so this course shouldn't pose much of a problem, and hopefully I'll learn some valuable stuff that I don't know now. Plus my employer will compensate my tuition, provided I pass the course, so that's a bonus.

In the meantime, here's something for your edumatational enlightenment: some linkage from WFMU'S BLAST O' HOT AIR newsletter.


HOOGERBRUGGE
"Animated five-part harmony group belch and drop trou at your point and click command as a dark ambient drone plays in the background. It's a Dutch thing."


HARMONIZING HORSIES
"Four happy horsies harmonize in a pastoral setting. It's a Swedish thing."

DO THE MAJOR LABELS OWE YOU MONEY?
"Established to provide information about a proposed Settlement of lawsuits brought by Attorney Generals of 43 states, Commonwealths and Territories, and by counsel for the Plaintiff Settlement Class entitled In Re: Compact Disc Minimum Advertised Price Antitrust Litigation."

THE INTERNET MUSEUM OF FLEXI/CARDBOARD/ODDITY RECORDS
"So you thought they were only round and black! An astounding collection of flexis, promotional die-cut discs, playable paper cereal boxes, postcards, stamps, Chinese food containers, Cream cheese lids, and lots more! We've mentioned this site before but it just keeps getting bigger and better. The collection is curated by Mac, the host WFMU's Antique Phonograph Music Program, and the site is designed and maintained Henry Lowengard (longtime WFMU webslinger)."

JOHANNA'S ART INSPIRED BY STEVIE NICKS
"A world of enchanted drawings inspired by Stevie Nicks. Mystical moons and unicorns galore grace this gallery of Stevie portraits, stationary, jigsaw puzzles and custom tambourines. You can even commission a portrait of you and Stevie together!"

RALPH DEWEY'S BALLOON TROMBONE
"Back in July, 2001 while I was at the Fellowship of Christian Magicians convention, I participated in a balloon orchestra as part of the evening show. We made balloon instruments and pretended to play to a tune. It turned out to be one of the hits of the week. We even got a standing ovation. One of the instruments that I decided to make was a trombone. One that actually had a working slide." Here's how Ralph did it!.

OTIS F. ODDER: 365 DAYS
The Bran Flakes' Mr. Otis F. Odder will unearth a new MP3 track every day of 2003, with some archives of past tracks.
"For the entire year of 2003 (January 1st to December 31st) this page will feature one mp3 file (every day) to download. The content will be focused on musical pieces, but will also include spoken word. Listeners of the incredibly strange and outsider realm take note, for this is the majority of material that will be made available." And How!

No comments: