Thursday, September 11, 2003

Nailing My Files

I was wondering what the chances are that I would be one of the people targeted by the RIAA for file-sharing. (Leaving aside the fact that the RIAA is an American group, and I don't think they have jurisdiction beyond their own borders... do they?)

I do have more than 1,000 MP3s in my share folder. The vast majority of them, however, are rare or unreleased tracks, or "unofficial" live recordings. Still, does that make me a "node"?

But according to that article, the kinds of music files the RIAA's hard-drive bloodhound looks for include such songs as:
ï Bobby McFerrin, ìDonít Worry, Be Happyî
ï Thompson Twins, ìHold Me Nowî
ï Eagles, ìHotel Californiaî
ï George Michael, ìKissing A Foolî
ï Paula Abdul, ìKnocked Outî
ï Green Day, ìMinorityî
ï UB40, ìRed Red Wineî
ï Ludacris ìArea Codesî
ï Marvin Gaye, ìSexual Healingî
ï Avril Lavigne, ìComplicatedî
Okay, with the possible exception of Marvin's classic, I think I can breathe easier. Sometimes it pays to have good taste.

No comments: