Monday, September 29, 2003

Juan With The Wind

I phoned home tonight to check in with the folks in P.E.I., to see how they were dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Juan. Turns out that the western part of the Islandówhere my parents and most of my Island-resident siblings live, in Summersideówas untouched. However, Charlottetown, farther to the east, was hit harder, I was told, with some roofs blown off and boats in the harbour smashed. Not quite as bad as Halifax, it seems, which was the exact point of landfall for the storm.

Now they're saying Hurricane Kate is possibly up next. (I think I may have dated her once.)

Of course, even while poles were being blown down, the polls stayed open for the P.E.I. election. Voter turnout: more than 80%! Apparently some people actually had to vote in the dark. Guess that explains how they ended up re-electing a record third straight majority Tory government.

No comments: