Friday, October 22, 2004

Go Tele On The Mountain

When we rehearse at Tim's place, I usually end up using his nice cherry red Telecaster. Saves me from having to lug my guitar halfway across town. Problem is... now I want one!

I've concluded that a Tele would be the perfect guitar to complement my Epi, and great for the kind of music we play. Get that nice, spanky, single-coil pickup sound, and that rangly bite. (Yes, rangly. It might be a new word. But it's the right word.)

Still not sure if I'll ever get used to a blonde maple fingerboard, like Tim's Tele has. Could be I'm just a rosewood kinda guy. Hafta find myself a decent black Tele with a white pickguard and a rosewood neck. Something like this.

I came across this little feature on Ten Terrific Telecaster® Guitars. Interesting facts about Bruce and his famous Esquire (a Telecaster prototype):
Among Bruce's stage secrets is the application of household sealants over all the guitar's cavities (including the gaps between the pickups and the body) to make it waterproof. This is due to the fact that, during a performance, 'the Boss' contently likes to dip his head in a full water butt (located at the back of the stage) to cool down, saturating his entire upper body. The sealant protects the pickups and wiring from any subsequent water damage. Interestingly, Bruce likes to 'seal' all of his new guitars and tests out their resilience by pouring a two litre bottle of Evian all over the instrument and then plugging it in! The sealant is changed frequently on each guitar, including his trusty Esquire®.

That's crazy! He dowses his electric guitars in water, and then he plugs them in to test the sealant! Bruce, that's what guitar techs are for!

No comments: