Wednesday, June 19, 2002

Radio Radio

Went to see Elvis Costello at the Molson Amphitheatre last Wednesday. I'm a huge fan, and he didn't disappoint, putting on a fantastic show with The Imposters (essentially The Attractions ñ Pete Thomas on drums, Steve Nieve on keyboards ñ with new bass player Dave Faragher). It was a great mix of classics ("Watching The Detectives", "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea", etc.), songs from the new album, When I Was Cruel , which has been steadily growing on me, and fan favourites like "Mystery Dance" and the creepily obsessive "I Want You", which ended the concert on a particularly emotionally intense note.

I had seen EC with the Attractions for the first time in Detroit almost 10 years ago, during the Brutal Youth tour. Then, as now, he ended the main portion on the show with a barrage of high-energy tunes, barely letting us grab a breath between songs. Just Bam Bam Bam, one after another. It was fabulous! This time the highlight was a similarly rousing near-medley of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding" and "Radio Radio". When that band is revving on high, they are just incredible. Man, they just killed!

Anyway, all this started because of the header, which was actually just meant to point out that I added some links to some of my fave Internet radio stations. So... uh, there they are... and, uh, Elvis rocks!

No comments: