Friday, June 14, 2002

Sound Bites

I look forward to my semi-annual dental appointment... not because I like having tartar scraped off my teeth by sharp pointy implements of torture that make my gums bleed, or even because I like being tilted back in the dental chair at such an angle that the blood rushes to my head while lite rock plays in the background (in fact, I don't know what's worse ñ having sharp metal picks sink into my gums, or having to listen to Journey's "Open Arms" with no escape option), or because my dentist, though overall a great guy, seems to think that my mouth will stretch to meet my ear lobe. No, it's because my dentist's office is located in my old neighbourhood, Yonge & Eglinton, and that means I get to reward myself with a visit to my favourite used CD store, Vortex, on Yonge just north of Eg.

Here's what I made off with this time (I was good, restricting myself to New Arrivals):

In Violate Light, The Tragically Hip ñ was meaning to buy it, and there it was. And they had several shrink-wrapped copies, ostensibly new for $11, which come with The Hip Club card, giving one access to exclusive downloads, etc. I like the idea of The Hip Club. It's neat getting extra stuff in a CD, like the old days of vinyl. I'm sure the prominently displayed acronym/logo on the card ñ THC ñ is pure coincidence.

MapleMusic One ñ MapleMusic's first compilation, released just last week, I think. Check out the line-up/tracks. Good stuff. Also new/shrink-wrapped for about $10 or $11.

The Last Broadcast, The Doves ñ Had read at least 2 glowing articles about them recently, so figured this was serendipitous. Didn't even realize til I got home that it had a 4-song bonus disc. $12. They're playing the Palais Royale tomorrow night. Debating it.

Bramble Rose, Tift Merritt ñ The sweetheart of the NxNE rodeo. Again, serendipity knocks. That's what I love about shopping for used CDs. Let Fate be your guide.

No comments: