Thursday, July 18, 2002

Run Run Rudolph

I've blogged previously about my practice of stopping into the Court Jester on Danforth (@Pape) for my Saturday supper. It's kind of nice to be a "regular" somewhere. I'm almost at the stage where I can just sit down and say "the usual", which means a pint of Kilkenny and their delicious jerk chicken burger with fries. In fact, one of the waitresses actually had me pegged after having served me only a couple of times, but I only get her about half the time. The danger, of course, is in becoming known as the "jerk chicken guy". I can't say that's a sobriquet I'm eager to encourage. So sometimes I try to change up my order.

Fortunately, their specials are often equally as tasty, or at least enjoyably adventurous. The Gulash (Goolash?) was very good. I would also recommend the Chicken Satay with salad. The curried lamb stew, also yummy. And last weekend, I decided to try a dish that I had never tasted before. The Caribou burger! Yes, caribou! I ask you, where in this city can you go to get a good caribou burger these days? I asked the waitress what it was like, and she said it was like venison, which I'd never had, despite spending my teen years in New Brunswick where I knew people who had venison and moose meat in their deep freezers. The caribou was actually quite good. A bit game-y, as they say. Kind of like ground turkey with a hint of liver. But kudos to the chef at the Court Jester for a regularly yummy and occasionally adventurous menu.

Yes, the caribou burger ñ the real "quarter" pounder.

No comments: