Tuesday, June 24, 2003

"Hit your baseball into my yard, and you'll never see it again"

Interesting and often hilarious interview with Tom Waits over at The Onion. Makes me wish there was a portal into that man's head. "Being Tom Waits" would be one hell of an interesting experience.

I love this part:

O: There's a section on your web site about fans who have spotted or encountered you in public. Do you have a problem going out?

TW: I go where I feel like. Funny little story... I drove on a field trip once, to a guitar factory, to show all these little kids how to make guitars. So we're standing there, and I'm looking around, and folks are looking over at me, and I'm just waiting for someone to recognize meóyou know, "Hey, aren't you that music guy? That singer guy?" Nobody. Nothing. We're there for, like, two hours, watching them put the frets on and all that, and I'm waiting and waiting. A week later, I took the same group of kids on a field trip to the dump, and as I pulled up, don't ask me how, but my truck was surrounded by people that wanted an autograph. It was a dump, for Christ's sake. I guess everybody knows me at the dump.

No comments: