Friday, June 11, 2004

Go North!

Yay! It's NxNE time! One of my favourite times of the year.

Last night was the first night of the music showcases. 400 bands spread around the downtown core of the city. I caught a splendid solo set by Winnipeg's Greg Macpherson, and had a chance to chat a bit afterwards and introduce myself (I had written him up in my Showcase page a few years ago). Then it was off to the Cameron House for Elliott Brood and Welcome Karma. The latter band fronted by a young guy who seemed as if it was the first time playing outside his parents' basement (I should have asked them, they were sitting next to me). Some awkwardness in his delivery, but there's potential there. A little over-serious, but he's young.

Ellliot Brood is a three-piece led by banjo, with lo-fi open-tuned guitar and a drummer who uses a hard-shelled suitcase as a kick drum. They were okay, but there were at least three of their tunes that sounded like the same song. Singer needs to get some more range and be a little more imaginative with the melodies.

Capped off the night with Pete Elkas at midnight at the Rivoli. Set started late, and it was pretty good, but I was getting tired by that point, so I had to bail and head home.

Tonight, I'm off to see my friend Heather and her Company of Men at The Black Bull. Later, I'll check out former By Divine Right-er and sometime Broken Social Scenester [Leslie] Feist at the Reverb. Speaking of invading France, she's suddenly bigger there than a Charles DeGaul booger. And she's become the talk of the town here. I'll be able to say I remember her when she had a first name.

The rest of the time slots are a bit of a crap shoot, but hopefully I'll follow my nose to something interesting.

No comments: