Friday, September 06, 2002

Fryday

I was considering going to see Fred Eaglesmith tonight at the Horseshoe, but after I got home, I laid down for a nap, and when I woke up and started thinking about having to eat and shower, etc., etc., I just decided to stay in. And blog away the night!

It's just as well, 'cos I'll be having a busy Saturday, what with resuming the Search For Specs. Last weekend I tried a pair of frames at Rapp that were pretty cool. I'd like to hit a couple of more stores, and then make a decision and have it done with.

Besides, apart from apparently being alright for fighting, Saturday night's always a better night for going out. Much better rested.

So I'm gonna take some time tonight and just chill and relax. Gonna do something I almost never do anymoreósit back and listen to cool music under the headphones! I spent half my teenage existence in that state. Had an old swivel, high-backed padded chair in the rec room in the basement, which I could turn to the corner and escape into my own world with The Beatles, The Stones, Neil Young, Dylan, The Police, Bruce Cockburn, The Who, etc.

[ Isn't it great when the very thing that your parents said you were wasting your time with, turns out to be the way you ultimately make your living? :-j ]

Though tonight it may well be Wilco or Neko Case or The Flaming Lips or Beck or Nathan Wiley, whose CD "Bottom Dollar" I just picked up yesterday. I first heard of him when he beat out my friend Colleen Power for the East Coast version of CBC's Big Break contest. But I won't hold that against him, because his CD is pretty good. Check out the samples section on his website. The song Comeback is exquisitely heartbreaking. Plus, he's from my hometown in P.E.I.!

While you're at it, you can also listen to Colleen's songs streamed from her website too. Not just 30-second clips either, the whole damn song! Just click on the shingles. Yes by. You may have seen Colleen perform on the CBC broadcast of the most recent East Coast Music Awards, where she wore a very classy evening gown, or on Speaker's Corner, where she modeled her self-made duct tape dress.

Speaking of the Stones, the remastered reissues of their ABKCO catalogue (all their pre-"Sticky Fingers" albums up until "Let It Bleed" in 1969) are apparently in stores now, and I've heard they sound great.

But enough typy typy from meóI'm headin' under the phones!

No comments: