Saturday, September 14, 2002

Sir-ly Keef

"I doubt they thought of offering me one," the 58-year-old [Richards] was quoted as saying. "Because they know what I would've said.... They knew I'd tell them where they could put it."

Right on, Keith! Nice to see there are still some of the old guard keeping the flame of rock 'n' roll alive. Not just the music, but the spirit.

Seems they're giving knighthoods out in Cracker Jacks boxes these days. I certainly value the contributions of the arts, and I admire the contributions of Paul McCartney, Elton John and Mick Jagger... but do they really deserve to be knighted? I would think there are many other people doing wonderful, selfless work for charity, toiling in the trenches, bringing food to the homeless, helping AIDs patients in their final days, etc. But I guess that's probably business as usual with the English class system.

When did celebrity become equated with accomplishment?

We pass out these honours so indiscriminately these days, it dilutes the significance of the honour. if half of Hollywood has a star on the Walk Of Fame, it ain't so much of an honour anymore. Oooh look, my star's next to Tim Allen's.

I'm waiting for them to bend the citizenship rules and offer Michael Jackson a knighthood. Was it Nero or Caligula who made his horse a Roman senator?
[by the way, did you see Michael accept what he thought was his "Artist Of The Millennium" award at the MTV Video awards? Mike, we're only 2 years into this millennium, or did you think it was for the previous millennium? He probably did. Here's a guy so divorced from reality he thinks shin guards are a fashion item.]

Man, did I wake up in a bad mood today or something?

Went to see the Flashing Lights last night at Lee's Palace, and they rocked!

No comments: