Thursday, October 31, 2002

Life'll Kill Ya

Staying up late to watch Warren Zevon on David Letterman. He's the only guest on the show tonight. Last month, Zevon was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. As those of you who have watched Letterman over the years know, Zevon has been a frequent fill-in for Paul Schaeffer, and is apparently a friend of the people on the show. Dave is noticeably emotional tonight, reminding me of his first post-9/11 show. After Zevon performed a new piano ballad, "Mutineers", Dave looked like he was just barely keeping his composure as he went over to greet him.

But Zevon is incredible. Still as dry and witty as ever. Here's a man whose number is up, yet he's being amazingly funny, irreverent and candid about it all. Perhaps not surprising, considering that in the press release announcing his illness, he was quoted as saying, "I'm okay with it, but it'll be a drag if I don't make it till the next James Bond movie comes out."

No "poor poor pitiful me" from this guy.

His singing seems weakened by his shortness of breath, and he's a bit stiff in his movements, like there's possibly some pain, but he performed three songs, including "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner", a request from Letterman.

In the interview, Dave started by asking him about the disease and how it all came about. Zevon says something like, "I think I made a strategic error in not consulting a physician in over 20 years."

And, oh yeah, his new album is called My Ride's Here.

I sure hope that if I'm ever facing a similar fate, I'll be able to handle it with as much grace, wit and humour as Mr. Zevon.

Here's to you, Warren. Enjoy every sandwich.

No comments: