Wednesday, October 16, 2002

Morning Smile

Had an interesting subway moment this morning on the way to work. I had just hopped on the train and grabbed a seat, when I noticed the rather tall, skinny kid standing in the aisle in front of me where the pole is, and realized he was addressing me. He looked like he was maybe 16, pock-marked face, bed-hair, buck teeth, drowsy parka. And he was talking to me in a very loud voice.

It took me a few seconds to assess what was happening, but then I realized that he was developmentally challenged (if that's the proper term). (There must be a school or something around Danforth and Warden or Victoria Park, because I've often seen other developmentally challenged kids on the train at that time of the morning.) I looked up at him as he loomed over me, trying to understand his somewhat garbled speech. Not helped by the fact that I wasn't completely awake yet; was up late the night before. After he repeated it a few times, it turned out he was telling me that Halloween was coming up, and that I should dress up as Dr. Evil from Austin Powers! I guess my shaved head inspired his costume advice.

I smiled and promised him that I would. Apparently that was all he needed to hear. His work done, he wandered down the car, stopping in front of a woman to offer some more free Halloween costume consultancy.

No comments: