Thursday, October 31, 2002

Sing-chronicity

Since it's Halloween, people at work have brought in candy, cupcakes and other goodies to share. I stopped in at a candy store last night and picked up a can of Werthers Originals to add to the sugarfest. While I was there I couldn't resist also buying a Pokey bendable figure, to occupy desk space alongside the Gumby I've had for a few years now.

So I'm sitting here, looking at my Pokey, all orange and rubbery and new, as he stands on my desk in the space beyond my phoneóthe strange netherworld where Workland stops and Toyland begins. Behind him, his pal Gumby is climbing my souvenir mini-replica of the Sears Tower, all King-Kong-like (except he's smiling and waving), while a Batman Pez dispenser looks on. And I'm eating a succession of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and listening to Devo: The Essentials ó and I'm experiencing a very odd but strong feeling of sensorial congruence, like each of these cultural artifacts fits into the other as if they were pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

I'll say it now for the whole world to know: Gumby & Pokey and Devo and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups were made to be experienced together!

"Working In The Coalmine" just came on! Perfect! You'll have to pardon me, I feel a desktop dance sequence coming on, and I have some choreography to work out with my little bendable friends.

No comments: