Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Ad Hawk?

Call me paranoid, but I think the Blog*Spot banner ad at the top of this page is talking about me.

I've noticed over the past week or so that the items being advertised in the banner seem to be triggered by the content of my blog posts.

Exhibit A: A few posts ago, I mentioned WilcoóNext day, the banner is advertising the Minus 5 CD "Down With Wilco" on Amazon.ca;
Exhibit B: I mentioned Neil YoungóBam, the banner is touting Neil Young CDs;
Exhibit C: In the recent post about the mayor and the Rolling Stones, I mentioned office furniture and Italian shoesóVoila! The banner is trying to sell you office furniture and Italian jewelry!

Now maybe this is old news to those of you who are more web-marketing savvy than I am, but I find it kind of unnerving

Okay, here's a test:
[Shhhhh, don't say anything. Just act normal, Don't look at the banner.]
[I said don't look at the banner!]

Okay, so, like, last Saturday night I went to the Rivoli to see the Silver Hearts play Tom Waits' Rain Dogs in its entirety, and in the same tracking order. It was a great show! If any band was made for that music, it's the Silver Hearts, who I believe I described in a post many moons ago as resembling less a band than members of a Tom Waits band camp. This was part of a series that will apparently be held every third Sunday of the month at the Riv, with different bands and combinations of artists tackling a complete album. Great idea!

But there also seems to be a competing series, which is along the same lines, but features a collection of various, less well-known local musicians playing classic albums. Tomorrow night (Thursday) at the Phoenix, they're going to present Fleetwood Mac's Rumours in its entirety.

So, to recap, that's Tom Waits and Fleetwood Mac. Yes, Tom Waits and Fleetwood Mac.

[all right, Banner, let's see what you come up with...]

No comments: